Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Serving Orange County & the Hudson Valley
The lawyers at Dupée & Monroe, P.C. represent motorcycle accident victims and their families in personal injury and wrongful death cases throughout Orange County, the Hudson Valley and New York City’s five boroughs. Our attorneys understand the risks and the enjoyment of riding motorcycles as well as the challenges presented by motorcycle accident cases. Police and drivers often suggest that bikers were reckless or somehow contributed to the cause of an accident. Our attorneys know how to combat this bias and obtain full and fair compensation for injured riders and their families. With years of experience handling these types of accidents, our attorneys have a thorough knowledge of motorcycle mechanics, common road hazards encountered by riders, and effective settlement and trial strategies.
Facts About Motorcycle Accidents in New York
According to data from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles statistics for the year 2011, the most recent year for which data is available, there were 5,336 motorcycle accidents in the state of New York, resulting in 171 fatalities and 5,180 injuries. Unlike auto accidents, where many accidents result in property damage, accidents involving motorcycles often result in serious injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, burns, fractures, or even death. The relatively unprotected nature of motorcycles leaves riders particularly vulnerable to severe injuries, even at relatively low speeds.
Common causes of motorcycle crashes include:
- Collisions involving cars and trucks: Accidents involving autos or trucks account for 75% of all motorcycle crashes, and often occur because the driver failed to see the motorcycle when changing lanes or turning.
- Single-bike accidents: Police reports are often quick to blame the rider in lone bike accidents, but these accidents are often the result of road debris or other road hazards, such as road construction, faulty or defective motorcycle parts, or making a defensive maneuver after being cut off by a driver.
- Rear-end collisions: Motorcyclists are at risk of being rear-ended by drivers of cars and trucks, as heavier vehicles are unable to stop as quickly as a motorcycle.
- U-turns: Drivers making a u-turn must yield on oncoming traffic, but often fail to see an approaching motorcycle.
- Road debris: Road debris such as oil, gravel, loose pavement, and potholes can easily cause an accident.
- Car doors opening suddenly: Drivers often fail to look for motorcycle riders before opening their car door.
The attorneys at Dupée & Monroe, P.C. have extensive experience handling motorcycle accident cases. We conduct a thorough investigation in every case to determine the cause or causes of the accident and identify and hold accountable all responsible parties. We leave no stone unturned and work tirelessly to secure the maximum compensation on behalf of our clients.
Experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorneys with a Record of Success
Dupée & Monroe, P.C. is a law firm with an established record of obtaining successful results on behalf of our clients. If you or a loved has been injured while riding a motorcycle in Orange County, the Hudson Valley, New York City’s five boroughs and throughout New York, give us a call or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with an experienced attorney who can help you get the compensation you deserve.