New York Child Injury Lawyers Serving NYC and the Hudson Valley
Across the State of New York, injuries are the leading cause of death for children. Injuries result in an average of over 18,000 hospitalizations for children aged 19 and younger every year. Far too many of these injuries could have been prevented if everyone involved had been acting responsibly and appropriately.
If your child has been seriously injured due to someone else’s negligence in New York, you need advice and representation from experienced, qualified child injury attorneys. You may be facing mounting medical expenses and significant burdens involving continued care, special education, and any number of other additional hardships for your child and your family. You have the right to hold the negligent parties responsible for the harm they have caused your loved ones. The seasoned New York child injury attorneys at Dupée & Monroe are here to help you get the justice and the compensation that you are owed.
Common Childhood Injury Claims
There are many ways in which a child may be injured due to another person’s negligence. Children are exposed to the same hazards as adults–negligent drivers, defective products, wet floors, etc. However, the law also understands that children are not fully capable of ensuring their own safety. They are prone to finding themselves in harm’s way due to “attractive nuisances” such as an unfenced pool or trampoline, and they may get hurt if left to their own devices when they are supposed to be under the supervision of teachers, daycare administrators, and other responsible adults.
At Dupée & Monroe, our child injury attorneys represent families of children injured in a wide variety of circumstances, including the following:
- Car accidents, whether due to reckless driving, drunk drivers, defective auto parts (seatbelt, airbag), or other causes
- Playground injuries caused by negligent maintenance of equipment or negligent supervision
- Negligent supervision at school, daycare, after-school programs or during other activities
- Defective or toxic toys
- Defective car seats or other child restraints
- Swimming pool drownings, either when a responsible resident leaves children unsupervised or when a landlord or homeowner leaves a pool open and inadequately fenced-off
- Dog bites and other pet attacks
- Premises liability for injuries that happen at school or daycare
Wrongful Death Claims
If your child was killed in a catastrophic accident, you have the right to recover against the negligent parties. In New York, the spouse, children, or parents of a person killed in an accident have the right to recover against anyone whose negligence contributed to the accident. Under New York law, however, the action is not brought on behalf of the survivors; it is brought on behalf of the deceased person’s estate. As a result, the types of damages available are more limited. Parents of a deceased child cannot, for example, recover for their grief and suffering in a wrongful death claim.
If your child was fatally injured in an accident, you may be able to recover damages, including:
- Costs incurred such as medical and burial expenses
- Conscious pain and suffering endured by the deceased from the time they were injured until they passed away
- Loss of “services” of the deceased, such as the value of housework and chores
- Punitive damages, where a defendant’s conduct was extraordinarily reckless or malicious (such as a drunk driver)
Speak with a dedicated New York wrongful death attorney about your case to find out how to maximize your available recovery and hold responsible the parties that caused your family such devastation.
Seasoned Goshen Child Accident Attorneys Ready to Take Your Case
Childhood injuries can be devastating. They can leave your child with a permanent injury or disability, expose your loved one to pain and suffering, and do significant damage to their physical and mental health. If your child was hurt due to someone else’s negligence, you need an experienced New York personal injury attorney on your side who thoroughly understands the law as it applies to your case and who is dedicated to achieving results on your behalf. At Dupée & Monroe, we have helped numerous injury victims and their families obtain significant legal damages in all manner of personal injury cases. We know the law and understand what it takes to get you the compensation you deserve when your family has been devastated by the negligence or wrongful conduct of another. If your child has been hurt in or around Orange County, contact Dupée & Monroe, P.C., for a free consultation with one of our experienced personal injury lawyers.