Compassionate Birth Injury Law Firm in Hudson Valley
Even a healthy, normal delivery is fraught with emotion and distressing for mother and child. When complications arise, the delivery process becomes legitimately frightening, and if a birth injury occurs, it’s devastating. There are many factors that may contribute to a birth injury during the delivery process, with negligence or mistakes on the part of healthcare providers being the most preventable and difficult to overcome—medically, financially, and emotionally. At Dupée & Monroe, P.C., our New York personal injury attorneys have the resources and compassion to handle birth injury cases, knowing we can never change what happened to you and your child, but we can help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve to live your best life possible.
Birth Injury Causes
According to the Department of Health and Human Services, the most common reason cited for preventable birth injuries is communication errors among healthcare providers, from misunderstanding a diagnosis and giving the wrong medications to failing to inform a doctor when a fetus shows signs of distress. Common causes and circumstances giving rise to birth injuries include:
- Head trauma during delivery, resulting in damage to the brain and nervous system, which can, in turn, lead to cerebral palsy and other long-term physical and developmental delays
- Unnecessary or improper use of forceps, a vacuum, or forced pressure to aid delivery, which can cause brachial plexus injuries, Erb’s palsy, facial paralysis, bruising, and lacerations
- Missed signs of fetal distress and failure to diagnose delivery issues, such as a large baby, breech baby, or maternal illness, quickly
- Oxygen deprivation as the result of a delayed delivery and/or delayed c-section, leading to hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), which means the infant’s brain tissue begins to die
- Improper resuscitation techniques
- Administering incorrect medications or treatments, including misuse of labor-inducing drugs
- Failure to prevent a premature birth or properly treat pregnancy conditions such as preeclampsia or eclampsia
Serious birth injuries affect about 60,000 of the 4 million births in the United States each year. Not only heartbreaking, birth injuries are expensive. A complicated delivery can cost twice as much as a straightforward delivery, and, if resulting birth injuries are severe, your child may need ongoing care and therapy. Our attorneys understand the ramifications of delivery mistakes, and we’ll seek to win compensation that covers the full extent of birth injuries.
Get the Advice & Help You Need from a Knowledgeable New York Birth Injury Lawyer
If mistakes made during your delivery led to your child sustaining a birth injury, please contact Dupée & Monroe, P.C. for a free, confidential consultation to discuss your potential claims for compensation. Our firm represents injury victims in Manhattan, New York City and the Hudson Valley area.